When You Visit
• No appointment is necessary to bring your pet to the Emergency Animal Hospital of Ellicott City. We see patients only on a walk-in basis.
• When you arrive, you can check in online or use a paper form.
• At check in, a veterinary nurse will triage your pet to determine severity of condition and to prioritize treatment for your pet.
• If there are immediate concerns about your pet’s condition, the nurse will ask your permission to take your pet to the treatment area so the veterinarian may see your pet and determine what immediate care is necessary.
• Patients will be seen and treated according to urgency of condition.
We offer drop off services for your pet so that you may wait in comfort at home until the doctor can examine your pet. This service facilitates care by having patients available as soon as the doctor can see them.
When multiple patients are waiting to be seen, our staff will triage on the basis of severity of signs. Unfortunately, less urgent conditions may need to wait while we tend to more critically ill patients. We work hard to see everyone in a timely manner. If we anticipate an extended wait, we will do our best to keep you informed of the situation.
We appreciate your patience and understanding. Our veterinarians are committed to giving each patient and owner the time necessary for proper diagnosis and treatment, as well as a thorough discussion of the problem and options for therapy. When it is your turn, you and your pet will receive the same time and consideration.
After the veterinarian examines your pet and makes an initial recommendation, an estimate for services will be provided and agreed upon diagnostic tests will be performed.
Once the tests are completed and the initial diagnosis has been made, the veterinary nurse will present a cost estimate for the recommended treatments and hospitalization if needed.
Patients to be admitted to the hospital will require a written, signed estimate and a deposit before care can begin.
We make every effort to provide you with an accurate estimate of services to be provided. These are broad estimates to allow for additional treatments which may not have been anticipated. However, we cannot predict in every case how a particular patient will respond to treatment. We will keep you informed of any changes to your pet’s condition requiring more extensive treatment.
In the rare event that life saving measures are required immediately, we may need to initiate care before we are able to contact you. CPR and other critical care services can be performed to try to save your pets life. Do not resuscitate directives can be given if you wish.